Crisis image banner

Crisis or Emergency information

What Can You Do In A Crisis Or Emergency?

If you call during regular hours, and are in distress or crisis, you will be immediately connected with a clinical staff. This worker will provide support and help to determine if further services are required.

If you or your family are in a crisis or emergency situation, here is what you can do:

  • If someone is at risk of hurting themselves, you should call 911 for immediate assistance or take the person to the hospital emergency department.
  • If you are experiencing a mental health crisis and need some help you can call the Canadian Mental Health Crisis Response Service at 807-346-8282 or toll free at 1- 888-269-3100 They have a 24 hour crisis hot line and 8 hour mobile response service (3 pm to 11 pm).
  • If you are a client, you can call your worker at the Centre, however, if your worker is not available, your call may be directed to another member of the Centre’s staff. Call 807-343-5000 and the receptionist will help you.
  • If you are worried about a child or have concerns that a child is being abused or neglected, you can call the Children’s Aid Society at 807-343-6100 or Dilico Anishinabek Family Care at 807-625-8511.

If you need a counselor, our Walk-in Counselling Clinic is now available Tuesday through Thursday, at either Children's Centre or Thunder Bay Counselling. Please call 807-700-0090 for more information or to access phone, video, and in-person counselling.

There are several other community services that are available to individuals and their families who are experiencing a crisis including:



Kids Help Phone
1-800- 668-6868 (24 hours)

Thunder Bay Child and Youth Services 24 Hour Crisis Hotline

807- 346-8282

If …

  • You need someone to listen
  • You feel you are in crisis
  • You are thinking about suicide
  • You are concerned about someone

... and don't know what to do, call to talk to someone who can help. All calls are confidential. There's no such thing as a problem that's too big, too small, too unimportant, too serious, too embarrassing... too anything! No matter what your problem or question, we're here to help - you choose the way! You can either phone a counsellor directly or ask a counsellor online.

Thunder Bay Sexual Assault/Sexual Abuse Counselling and Crisis Centre (24 hours)

807- 344-4502

The agency provides:

  • 24 hour Crisis Intervention (telephone/mobile response 365 days/year)
  • Counselling (brief, short term and long term)
  • Client Advocacy: Information, accompaniment, and preparation through the criminal justice system, assistance with Criminal Injury Compensation claims, Victim Impact Statements


For residents of the townships of East/West Gorham (Lappe), Nolalu and Kaministiquia


  • Rural Ambulance: 1-877-351-2345
  • Rural Fires: 473-5200
  • Ontario Provincial Police: 1-888-310-1122